Re: [OM] (OM) OT - sort of - apparent discernable resolution,

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT - sort of - apparent discernable resolution,
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:21:44 -0500
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 02:56 AM, Brian Swale wrote:

> Is the detail of Andris's shot superior to yours?  I think so but I am
> hampered
> in making a better-informed comment as the Flash software of the site you
> use does not permit me to download a copy of your files to obtain the
> real
> file size or the EXIF. The only way I can copy such files is to do a
> screen-
> scrape and capture it with Irfanview. And such a copy contains none of
> your
> actual image data. Facebook has undoubtedly reduced the file size of
> Andris's image (to just 78 KB, from memory) which is very small, but
> examining even that with the FastStone magnifying glass shows amazing
> detail in the hills in the centre of the shot.

It sounds like we are hampered going both ways then.

I have to be careful using FastStone to draw conclusions.  I do it more
than I should because it is so convenient.  Have you noticed that with
some files it seems to do auto levels in preparing the display image?
Sometimes "equalizes" bracketed exposures.

> Yes, I do think there is a "je ne sais quoi" quality to the shot, but
> given
> Andris's commercial imperative, I doubt that I will ever be able to get
> my
> hands on a larger file size to play with and examine. Andris didn't get
> the
> money to buy a Phase One camera with all the trimmings, by giving stuff
> away for free ... See his site at the www.andrisapse.com    The colour
> rendition in that shot is amazing, especially of the tussock grassland in
> the
> centre..

I think I would continue to suggest that the difference might be because
of the glass -- as far as some esoteric quality that is retained through
to the web image.  If he can afford the PhaseOne, he probably has the
glass to go with it.  The DZ 14-54 is a fine lens, but I wouldn't call
it lyrical.  More like very good prose.

That Grand Canyon shot was made with DZ 14-54 and E-1.  The lens, rather
than the E-1, accounts for the look of that one, I think.

BTW, you did already say some very nice things about the flowers when I
first posted.  There are only five or six of us that like flowers
on-list, and I'm doubtful of a couple of them, so it goes a long ways to
get a nice comment from a fellow-traveler.  I appreciate it.

Joel W.