[OM] Nathan's PAD 19/4/2012: Gursky meets Giacometti

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 19/4/2012: Gursky meets Giacometti
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:32:04 +0200
I am spending a few days in Copenhagen, and as always, one item on the agenda
was to visit the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, in my view one of the best
such places in the world. There is always at least one interesting exhibition,
and the permanent collection is always a delight to see--again and again. This
time they have a huge exhibit (in every sense of the word) of works by Andreas
Gursky. It was absolutely awesome to see there huge photographs "in the flesh".
As opposed to, say, Cindy Sherman, Gursky's stuff is actually worth looking at,
and the images are transformed by being so large.

Here is one of my favourite rooms at Louisiana, containing just one Giacometti
statue (they have a large collection) with the park outside as the backdrop.
Right now, one of Gursky's prints hangs there too:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=1802500755&k=w8GJdpW&lb=1&s=O

Here are my sister and brother-in-law looking at another Gursky print. Not a
very flattering pose, but their presence helps show the scale of the photo:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=1802514002&k=MnzjHML&lb=1&s=O

More about Louisiana here:
http://www.louisiana.dk/dk/Service+Menu+Right/English

Highly recommended for anybody visiting Copenhagen.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain