Re: [OM] beyond the Olympus E5

Subject: Re: [OM] beyond the Olympus E5
From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 22:21:39 +0200
Olympus sort of promised to keep the 4/3 line operational until it would
truly blend with m43, I think I read somewhere. Since the e-m5 has not
delivered on that, it seems they should introduce an E-6 this year, maybe
announced at the Photokina.

If Olympus won't do that, their credibility will suffer. However the new
management might sacrifice 4/3 compatibility in some business
rationalisation as well. There might still be some people involved to
integrate the AF type necessary for 4/3 in m43.

Question could be: do they expect to get future revenues on 4/3 glass, or
is their assessement of the market that large glass will never be
attractive enough for m43 owners? And to leave the fast glass for the big
sensor (guys)?

I wouldn't be surprised, but they'll do much to prevent you from being
'done with serious camera buying'..  ;-)

In the mean time, watch the market for 4/3 glass, That will show the
confidence in Olympus' 4/3 policy. More market will mean less potential
buyers of the E-6, and if Olympus reads the (those) stars...

Good luck anyway, Frank (down to one E-1 and some lenses)