[OM] IMG: Fleur du Jour

Subject: [OM] IMG: Fleur du Jour
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:43:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     On a trip to Las Vegas last weekend I came across a number of specimens of
Desert Stingbush aka Rock Nettle (Eucnide urens) near Hoover Dam:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/6921517550/in/photostream

     I first thought it was a mentzelia as it looks very much like White-bract
Stickleaf (Mentzelia involucrata), which is found at lower elevations this time
of year.  Same family, different genus.

     Also took the opportunity to do a little hiking in the Spring Mountains,
just west of Las Vegas, where there is still snow down to 7,000' elevation and
the peak of Mount Charleston is still covered for the most part:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/6921544374/in/photostream

Chris