Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question

Subject: Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 23:52:54 +0930
On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 12:21:19PM +0100, Chris Barker wrote:

> Thanks for that, David.  But I meant that you are now able to fit more
> RAM, and have the CPU use it, than was the case when some Macs were
> sold.

OK, I understand,  I seem to have misunderstood your point - not the
first time I did that this week!

My second computer was a Z80 CP/M machine built on veroboard and I had
about  48K of RAM available  after the BDOS & BIOS- and I was very happy
using things like Wordstar (to produce all my TAFE (college)
assignments) & exploring the functions of things like Multiplan.  Later,
a certain person one said that 640K of RAM would be enough for
anything...

I find that the 32-bit limitation of 3.5G(-ish) is quite enough for what
I do with my UNIX machine (even running the GIMP), but my w7-64bit
machine with 4G gets close to running out after 3 or 4 days running
doing basically nothing.

I guess my point is that as hardware gets better, with more CPU cycles &
more RAM available, someone somewhere  will write software wasteful
enough to fill it. :)

davidt