Re: [OM] Remix logic

Subject: Re: [OM] Remix logic
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 09:01:55 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, Ken Norton wrote:

> So we buy a couple of CDs for our daughters the other day. One is a
> "remix" CD of a popular hip-hop artist.
>
> Somehow this is hitting me as rather funny. Isn't remixing hip-hop
> kinda like feeding bacon to a pet pig? After all, hip-hop is built on
> the concept of remix.

It's just a terminology thing. In electronic music it's usually not called
a remix if it's done by the original artist, even if they re-use samples
or make multiple versions (which would literally be a re-mix of whatever
they recorded).

But as it's pop culture, the terminology keeps changing all the time too
and words borrowed back and forth. That usage of word remix certainly
didn't originate in hip-hop culture, I suspect it's more related to late
70's disco.

Priit.