Re: [OM] [Norton AntiSpam] (OM) OT Really OT :-(

Subject: Re: [OM] [Norton AntiSpam] (OM) OT Really OT :-(
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:06:48 +1200
John Hermanson wrote

> That is an amazing story of a little man who always wanted to be a cop and
> push people around.  I love how he brings the dog to the front of the car
> first, out of camera range, and then uses voice commands for the dog to
> know if he "finds" something, he'll get a treat.  He WAS eventually fired
> for this behavior.  This is not common place in the US, but, um, are you
> sure no NZ cops have power issues or EVER get out of control and do as
> they wish?   :-0

Yes, NZ cops do sometimes get out of control. And by the way, it is usually
City  Councils that run city speed cameras, and I'm not sure what National
body runs them on the State Highways.

Back to the cops; there are two main areas of concern.
1)   Planting evidence, interfering with witnesses and removing or ignoring
valid evidence in high-profile cases. (a) the Arthur Allan Thomas case
contained the first two examples, and (b) the David Bain case the third.

2). Shooting people dead when there was no real need. NZ cops usually do
not routinely carry firearms of any kind, but often have them in their vehicle.
In the Stephen Wallace case in Taranaki, a young Maori youth was running
amok and smashing shop windows with a golf club. The cop who shot and
killed him was in no danger, no other person was in danger, and a team of
cops should have been called out.  Instead, he shot. This was the second
person this cop had killed within about 5 years - a record held by no other
cop.
Another instance comes to mind - can't remember the name, but this guy in
either Madras or Barbados Street in Christchurch was very agitated, and
was hitting cars with a hammer. Nobody, least of all neighbours, was in any
danger, and there was no need for any person to intervene on their own. A
team of police should have been called, using capsicum spray,  tear gas, or
something similar to subdue him. But no, one officer took it upon himself to
confront the guy, and upon being ignored, shot him dead.

None of these instances went down well with the public.

The Independent Police Complaints Authority gave all the cases of killing a
whitewash.

The instances of tampering with evidence etc resulted in re-trial in the High
Court, and acquittal of persons previously sent to clink. In the Thomas case
I think there was a significant financial compensation. In the Bain case none
because although he was not proven to have killed all the members of his
family, he was not found innocent.

Brian Swale.