[OM] IMGs from a Recent Hike

Subject: [OM] IMGs from a Recent Hike
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 07:18:24 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     This past Friday I took an all-day hike into a remote area northwest of
Phoenix.  A number of drainages there have proven to be interesting in the way
of scenery, plants, and animals.  Last fall I encountered a Mountain Lion in
the area, but was not fast enough to get a photo.  I never fail to encounter
something of interest in this area.

     Hedgehog cactus everywehere are on the verge of blooming, and this one was
ahead of the game:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/6867822126/in/photostream

     This inconspicuous plant, scarcely four inches (10cm) across later proved
to be Whitestem Blazing Star (Mentzelia albicaulis), a new species for my
checklist:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7013937347/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/6867828260/in/photostream

     Climbing up on a low ridge provided an unobstructed view of Pine Mountain
and Four Peaks with snow from Monday's storm still visible:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7013935861/in/photostream

     This Gila Monster did not share my enthusiasm and would rather I vacated
the premises:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7014007769/in/photostream

     This specimen of Tepary Bean (Phaseolus acutifolius var. tenuifolius) was
found just beneath the overhang of a large rock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7013932293/in/photostream

     And this scene was a fitting end to a very pleasant day:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7013934269/in/photostream

Chris