Re: [OM] Flower show portrait 2012

Subject: Re: [OM] Flower show portrait 2012
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:46:05 -0500
> Thanks for the praise, Wayne. The shots were taken with available light, it
> was an overcast day.

It definitely had that smooth overcast lighting effect. Which is also
why the eyes went a little dark. No problem, though. You did a good
job of keeping a lot of life in the shots.

As to the lens/format thing. The 180 on FF does give better bokeh
effects, but I prefer the edging around the subject the 100/2 gives.
These photos illustrate it very nicely. It's that something special
I've talked about with the 100/2, 35-80 and 35/2. It gives the
impression that the subject is separated dimensionally from the
background. I've seen the 180 also do this, but haven't figured out
the distance/aperture thing where it does it best. I'll let you 180
owners talk to that.

I shot the 100/2 last night with both the E-1 and DMC-L1. I'm reminded
again just how special this lens is. Focusing it wide-open is an
experience. The lens is not only bright, but is brutally sharp
wide-open. When the subject is in focus, it is almost shocking to your
system because the crispness and the rate of entry/exit from crispness
is unlike any other lens. When used on the OM system with 2-series
screen, it verges on the unnatural.

AG