Re: [OM] Bald eagle juveniles at Little Manatee River, Ruskin, Florida

Subject: Re: [OM] Bald eagle juveniles at Little Manatee River, Ruskin, Florida
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:40:28 -0500
Yes, juveniles are brown without the white heads and tails of the
adults.  These guys showed some white speckling underneath the brown and
there is some white visible on the underside of the wings.  They're
quite large now.  I didn't see an adult for direct comparison but I
doubt the parents are much bigger.

See: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Eagle>

I don't know if anyone noticed but their nest is the huge construction
directly underneath them.  From the wiki article: "The Bald Eagle builds
the largest nest of any North American bird, up to 4 meters (13 ft)
deep, 2.5 meters (8.2 ft) wide, and one metric ton (1.1 tons) in weight"

Chuck Norcutt