[OM] Changes coming on Zone-10

Subject: [OM] Changes coming on Zone-10
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:05:35 -0600
In the next couple of months www.zone-10.com will undergo a bit of a
transition. It is coming up on five years of this particular format
and it really needs to start earning its keep. When Khen and I started
it, we had great hopes and plans for it, but it required much more
time and financial commitment than either one were able to give. In
the meantime, my primary photography services business needs some
love. Khen has migrated away to his photography business and I've been
filling the gaps with guest writers. It's time to hit the reset
button. Without a dedicated partner to share the burden, a website of
this format is not going to fly. Still, it was a fun experiment and
I'm glad we did it. Unfortunately, it ended up being a five-year
distraction from a direction I was already heading towards.

As part of the remake of www.zone-10.com, the CMS will get changed
out. Unfortunately, that means that some of the content is probably
going to get dumped as part of the transition. What gets kept will
likely be identified as pertinent to the repurposed website. I've got
five years of visitor trends, google search terms and so forth. I'll
definitely be keeping the stuff that gets traffic. This will most
certainly include the Gary Reese Lens Tests. They aren't going
anywhere and will actually get augmented and expanded. Some of the
camera reviews will remain too. But out of 700 articles, 600 are
probably toast.

I'm not going to get into details right now because, well, there are
none yet. The vision statement is being written, the business plan
being developed and once those are done, then we can start going a
direction which makes more financial sense. A direction which will
have zero external advertisement cluttering the pages. Providing
information on a website is fine and everything, but information
doesn't earn much money--definitely not as much as what the same
amount of time spent doing something else would.

I'm not going anywhere. But the orange and black has to go.
Time for new paint and an overhaul.

AG