[OM] A fortuitous discovery...

Subject: [OM] A fortuitous discovery...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 19:32:21 -0500
Remember the big bag of early Minolta AF film gear I bought for 50 bucks
a while back?  Remember me saying I had spotted some eagles about 12-15
miles up the road?  I was thinking about what limited gear I have with
me in Florida and what I would use to shoot the eagles.  The 5D for
sure, the 80-200/2.8 Tokina since it's the longest lens I have with me
and very probably the Kenko 1.5X teleconverter (something I've had for
quite a while but never used) and, of course the tripod with gear head.

But then I began to wonder about actually using everything pointed up at
about 45 degrees and began to wish for a right angle view finder.  I
don't have one for the Canon.  I once slip fitted the Varimagni finder
on the Canon.  My recollection is that it fit reasonably well but I
don't recall that the field of view was centered over that of the
camera.  Then I remembered by bag of Minolta goodies.  I dragged out the
angle finder and discovered it to have a 1X-2X switch and it rotates 360
degrees with click stops every 90 degrees.  But best of all, after
removing the 5D's rubber eyepiece cup the Minolta anglefinder just
slipped right on like it was built for it.  At 2X, of course, you can't
see the full focusing screen but the image of the focusing screen is
quite well centered.

Whoopee.  I'm not sure what it alone is worth but it goes a good way to
paying back the 50 bucks for the big Tamrac bag and its contents.

ps:  I since got some AA batteries (not AAA as I first thought) and
fired up both cameras.  They came to life with shutters and electronics
working.  I haven't put any film in yet and I was surprised that the
cameras didn't complain when I fired them up without film.  Both cameras
are the same model and have no ASA dials.  They depend on DX coded film.

Chuck Norcutt