Re: [OM] [Off topic] accessing secured directories

Subject: Re: [OM] [Off topic] accessing secured directories
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:59:12 +1030
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:16:43PM -0600, Goss,Steve wrote:
> Hi, Y'all-
> We recently bought a new Lenovo home computer, and put the drive from the
> previous Dell computer in as a second drive. We can access some of the old
> drive, but not the user directories.  We are not asked for a password or to
> login, just denied access.
>
> Is there any way to get to those files?
> We can't just put the old drive back into the old computer because the
> motherboard is shot on the Dell.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Goss | MDI System Engineer | Cerner Corporation | Mobile: (816)
> 885-3259 | Fax: (816) 571-8560 | sgoss@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:sgoss@xxxxxxxxxx> |
> www.cerner.com<http://www.cerner.com/>

Steve,

I'm assuming the old machine is XP.

Booting the old OS is the easiest approach, if you have access to some
equivalent hardware - but I guess you don't & thus the enquiry!

I believe there is some sort of 'identity' key associated with  each
user (compares to user id/group id on unix), and they will be different
sequences on the new machine. If the user  directories were set as
'private' the file permissions will be limited to the user ID. I believe
it is also possible to encrypt these files/directories- but this is much
less likely to have occurred.

Likely you will need to log in as administrator (and that may give you
all you need to copy the users files into a their new user directories -
suggest you create an OldData dir in each user if you go that way - it
will make it a lot easier to import e-mail/addressbooks/favorites).

If you want to continue to use the old disk, you will need to grant the
users access rights to their old directories. Assuming it is just
permissions, the tool you need is called 'cacls.exe' (Change Access
Control ListS), it runs under a command prompt window.

The 'manual' for the tool is here:

If the new machine is W7 the tool is now called Icacls.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(WS.10).aspx

If you need a hand figuring these out, let me know (I don't know them
that well, I have used cacls only a couple of times).

davidt