[OM] OT: Snow, graves and a poet, re-sent

Subject: [OM] OT: Snow, graves and a poet, re-sent
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 16:28:30 +0000
We had a fairly heavy fall of snow last night and it has prompted me to get out
and take some photos:

http://images.threeshoes.biz/Landscapes/Winter/14684316_Bpdbrt

Four (starting with the orangey ones) are of my street and my house; the orange
cast is from the street lights as it was nearly 1100 when I decided to go out
and see the scene.

The following few shots are from a nearby hamlet called Cockayne Hatley, St
John's Church and graveyard where we went for a walk in the snow.  The church
is quite a handsome one, especially outlined with snow, but the graveyard
contains the gravestone of William Ernest Henley.  I didn't really know of him
until I first found the grave some years ago, but he has written some
well-known poems, including "Invictus".

The poem on his gravestone (also that of his daughter and of his wife) goes,

“So be my passing
My task accomplished and the long day done
My wages taken, and in my heart
Some late lark singing
Let me be gathered in the quiet west
The sundown splendid and serene, Death.”

More of his poems can be found, http://theotherpages.org/poems/henley01.html

The propellor-shaped slate is the memorial to the crew of a Liberator that
crashed near the graveyard; a training accident after the end of the Second
World War.

All in all, it's a thought-provoking place, especially in the quiet of a snowy
Sunday morning.

Chris