[OM] iPhone remote - tethering

Subject: [OM] iPhone remote - tethering
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:25:17 -0500 (EST)
>> Yes, I just realised that my iPhone does have this built in, so I
suppose I
>> wasted 4 Euro. Oh well.

>Maybe not. From what I read, this bypasses the software hooks that the
>carrier recognizes for the phone being tethered. There are also a
>couple apps for Android that do the same thing, but those apps also
>open up some security holes which aren't a good thing. Stay far far
>away from the cheat apps.

>AG

I have read that Verizon and perhaps AT&T are getty cranky about
jailbroken phones with tethering
or these apps which avoid the tethering fee.  So how do they even know
bout what your doing?  Data is data, No?
  In the past they didn't really care unless the data volume was
obscene.  Why they care that much now with elimination of the all you
can eat plans, I don't know.
Seems they must do DPI (deep packet inspection) which is borderline
kosher.  Some just run a strongly encrypted VPN to their home server
using that connection and all
Verizon sees is VPN traffic.  Perhaps too much work.

As an aside the CFO given an ipad at work so as needed two phones got
the same phone for CFO and me. (Would have had  to learn both anyway)
Two iphones it was, though am unsure if that were the best.  Palm
desktop would not work correctly in virtual machine on win 7 64
bit and didn't really wan to fuss with dual booting so hijacked
Marnie's notebook for the AM I had to schedule off to port the
whole shibang.  I had known it worked great using Companionlink on
Droids but Iphone requires Dejaoffice  as wellon the phone.
After some fussing with conduit, Voilà---EVERYTHING important ported
over WiFi.  (short end-zone dance occurs) It even knew the control
characters to put a pause in
correctly for some phone number extensions for the new phone.  Oddly
the old phone had some essential features lacking--even Dejaoffice
won't search my memos for keywords and highlight the search term like
the olde phone.  I think Evernote is a workaround till Dejaoffice fixes
that glaring deficit.  There are others.  Palm made fatal errors but
they had PIM down cold in my book.

Wasting time I  don't have  gettin back to where I was, Mike