[OM] OM-5D macro comparisons

Subject: [OM] OM-5D macro comparisons
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:31:11 -0600
I have placed three photos on my homepage of the same flower from the
same session using the same camera with three different macro lenses.  I
used a black background, which is something I often do with flower
photography, and this somewhat eliminates bokeh from the discussion.
One of the lenses is the OT Nikk*r 55/28 macro, and the other two are
the Zuiko 90/2 and 50/3.5.

I used a handheld meter and shot in manual mode.  Development of the raw
files I did in Sagelight, using identical settings for all three images.
Light sharpening of the converted images (300% amount, .3 p radius) in
Sagelight.  Saved for web in Photoshop.  No further sharpening of web
version.  Focus point is on the parallel lines within the main "barrell"
of the flower and I used the screen and my eye to focus (rather than
focus confirm via the adapter) with apparent success.  ISO 200, WB
sunny, shutter speed 1/8, f11 for all three images.

As each lens is a different focal length, there are differences among
the images in camera position relative to the flower -- more
significant, of course, with the Z 90 as compared with the 50 and 55,
but even the 55 required some repositioning of the tripod.  Oh yeah, I
forgot to mention I used a tripod, MLU, and cable release.

<http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/index.html>

Which lens(es) would you expel from the camera bag?

Joel W.

                          wherever you are