Re: [OM] Another Fine Mess

Subject: Re: [OM] Another Fine Mess
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:08:43 -0800
On 1/27/2012 5:23 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
>       <<SNIP>>
>
>       I just did something a bit risky out of desparation.  I occasionally
> delete all temporary files, especially if things bog down as some of them
> have executable code.  This time I deleted all cookies, which I rarely if
> ever do as those contain your website user names.  Lo and behold, everything
> is working again.
>
>       Evidently, some sort of trojan or whatever arrived in the form of a
> cookie from a website I visited and have not blocked.  I'm suspecting Amazon
> as they would have a vested interest in disabling eBay.  I recall visiting
> Amazon shortly after installing Firefox, but I also visited a number of other
> sites at that time.  I'll just have to check eBay every so often when I'm
> busily browsing, and next time it crashes I'll check the cookies folder and
> try nailing it.

Interesting. My experience is that anytime my browser, or ant particular site,
starts suddenly acting in inexplicable
ways, it's time to start deleting cookies. Sometimes all at once, sometimes one
or a group at a time.

Not that there undoubtedly aren't folks doing bad things out there out of
malice, but I'm pretty sure much more of it is
a range of causes, from simple incompetence to the unbelievably complex nature
of the web and all the stuff being used
to create and browse it.

Isn't it more likely that the 'Bay changed something on their site, as a part
of routine maintenance or 'improvement'
that simply disagreed with an eBay cookie on your machine than that some evil
genius screwed it up on purpose?
Especially when so many others have been unaffected?

The difference between your recent experience and mine could simply be that I
cleared cookies a couple of weeks ago when
FireFox simply got 'weird' (technical term). It then got unweird - and I didn't
have any old cookies hanging around.

Warm Cookies Moose