Re: [OM] 4-up display, was: Sagelight

Subject: Re: [OM] 4-up display, was: Sagelight
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:25:56 -0600
> ".....the naval of one of my parallel universes ..." or some similar
> expression was uttered by Meryl Streep in her leading lady role in The
> Bridges of Maddison County. Perhaps Ken N could confirm since he is only
> three counties away :-)

Only one. We moved to the county just underneath Madison. Hmm. Zuikofest?

Actually, the Winterset area is one of the prettier spots in Iowa. Not too
unlike the far north-east part around Decorah. Winterset has a nice looking
courthouse square.

Speaking of, the town I live in now, Creston, has no courthouse square.
Neither does Webster City. The towns of Creston and Afton were established
in the 1850's and 1860's with Afton being first and at the time largest.
Creston was a railroad survey camp when then turned into a substantial
railroad town. Creston actually formed about ten years after Afton. Next to
Afton was a town of Highland. They voted to move the county seat from Afton
to Highland. Highland lost. In the end, Highland was deemed to be redundunt
and the buildings were moved to Afton. Afton built two court houses during
the time it was county seat, but the writing was on the wall. It's days
were numbered. In a balzy move, the city of Creston built a huge concrete
and limestone courthouse and gave it to the county in exchange for moving
the county seat there. So from 1857 to 1890 it was in Afton, but after that
in Creston. Afton is now just a creepy little town with a ghostly
courthouse square and the apparance that the world passed it by about 120
years ago.

The naming of Union county was rather fascinating. The area was part of the
original Clarke County, and in 1852 the decision was made to form the new
county. This country was rapidly heading towards the Civil War, and this
area was a wee bit close to the dividing line with Missouri which was the
defacto extension of the Mason-Dixon line. Initially, the desired name was
to be "Mason" in reference to the Mason-Dixon line, but that was proving to
be a bit inflamitory. So it was named "Union" instead in reference to the
preservation of the union, which was supposably less prickly. Right...

So, that's why Creston has no courthouse square.

AG