[OM] My, they work in colour too!

Subject: [OM] My, they work in colour too!
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:14:33 +0200
I said I'd try some colour film in my OM for a change this year...

I still hate scanning 35mm with an Epson V700, but the results are not
bad. I can almost get a decent 8 megapixels out of this thing, now
that focus is calibrated. When Epson says calibrated, it means
fiddling with flimsy plastic bits until the film is held the correct
distance above the scanning glass.

With cider and an oak leaf
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/025/b/e/with_cider_and_an_oak_leaf_by_philosomatographer-d4nmx7z.jpg
(Portra 400VC, Zuiko 21mm at f/2.0, OM-3Ti)
A lovely afternoon at Pizza Luna with my wife after work...

Traveling Wisteria
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/011/e/8/traveling_wisteria_by_philosomatographer-d4lzvey.jpg
(Portra 400VC, Zuiko 250mm at f/2.0, OM-3Ti)
Some very strange late-afternoon light in our garden...

African Violets on the Lawn
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/011/1/6/african_violets_on_the_lawn_by_philosomatographer-d4lzup1.jpg
(Portra 400VC, Zuiko 40mm at f/2.0, OM-3Ti)

Lost, but not alone
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/011/8/3/lost__but_not_alone_by_philosomatographer-d4lzvdk.jpg
(Portra 400VC, Zuiko 50mm at f/1.4, OM-3Ti)
Something like 1/8s at f/1.4, it was pitch dark...

Woolworths Vista
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/025/c/0/woolworths_vista_by_philosomatographer-d4nmxrk.jpg
(Portra 400VC, Zuiko 21mm at f/8.0, OM-3Ti)

What can I say, I like shooting Zuikos at full aperture :-) The last
image was more of a test, I wanted to see what super-wide angle with
the Zuiko 21mm at optimum aperture could look like on colour film. I
must say, apart from film grain, the detail rendition is mighty
impressive right into the corners. Scanned this at 3200dpi (12+
megapixels) and it's really surprisingly good. In all of these
experiments, I am struck by the immense dynamic range of colour
negative film.

I hate fiddling with the colour trying to make them look right, I
could still play with these for hours before being truly happy. And
this with Vuescan, supposedly among the better scanning apps! (but the
application with the single worst, amateur user interface I have ever
used in my life)

thanks for looking,
Dawid Loubser