[OM] LR catalog, was Sagelight editor

Subject: [OM] LR catalog, was Sagelight editor
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:14:20 -0000
Of *course* LR has the ability to link to files. If you choose, when
importing files to LR, you can specify that it should leave the original
files as-is, where you put them in the first place. LR terms this "Add" in
the import function (as opposed to "Copy" which leaves the original as-is
and makes its own copy in LR's chosen location or "Move" which moves the
original to LR's chosen location). You having select "Add", LR will then
build its catalog (as it is called) using your file locations. Just like a
real library catalogue. What LR shows in the Library view are its own
previews of your original files. Any edits made in LR are kept in sidecar
files, applied to your original files which remain all the while in their
original locations. And if you later move your files, the previews in LR
will have a "?" in the corner, indicating the LR no longer has access to the
original file.

Piers