Re: [OM] UK trip 2012

Subject: Re: [OM] UK trip 2012
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:17:33 -0000
Who, me?

To answer your direct (and implicit) questions, Michael, there are
international airports in Scotland at Edinburgh and Glasgow (as Gerry has
mentioned), as well as Aberdeen, all with direct flights from Heathrow.
There are smaller airports too, but none of them have links to London
Heathrow.

As Chuck, and before him Nathan, have discovered, Scotland is a bigger
country than you might think, and it takes much longer than you might expect
to travel around it.  If you want to see Highlands and lakes (we call them
lochs) as well as Edinburgh followed by York, I strongly recommend that you
fly as far north as you can. If you must fly from Heathrow, then that means
flying to Aberdeen. Preferable (but not possible from Heathrow) would be to
fly to Inverness, which is at the very centre of the Highlands. It might not
appear to be so from the map, but you have to take into account that the
beautiful mountains force the roads (and railways) into some not-so-direct
routes!

BUT the time you have available is very limited indeed, given that you want
to see York, and arrive in Somerset (which is about as far from the
Highlands as possible) on 1 September.  Here's some indications of timing
for you:
London Heathrow to Aberdeen, Inverness or Edinburgh by air will take about
1.5 hours flight time + at least 1 hour for security
Edinburgh to Inverness by train will take nearly 4 hours
Aberdeen to Inverness by train will take about 2.5 hours
Edinburgh to York by train will take about 2.5 hours
York to Taunton by train will take about 4.5 hours

I suggest that you aim to fly to Aberdeen on 27 August, and the next day
take a train to Inverness. There are tours available in Inverness to cover
the main tourist/historical/scenic spots. Take the train to Edinburgh on 30
August, and from there the train to York on 31 August, and from there the
train to Taunton on 1 September. I think you can "get away" with less time
in Edinburgh and York because the cities are more compact than the
Highlands!

Let us know how your plans develop - and congratulations to your daughter, I
hope she enjoys Taunton!

Piers