Re: [OM] IMG: Last Film Images of 2011

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Last Film Images of 2011
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:23:13 -0500
They're not hunted in the US (at least in the east) because they are
protected by a treaty between the US and Canada regarding the Atlantic
Flyway <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Flyway>

Canada geese use this migration route and, at the time the treaty was
written, they were almost completely migratory.  Over the years,
however, many flocks have taken up permanent residence along the flyway
including even some of the more northern parts.  These geese eat grass
and are the pest animals that make a mess of golf courses, school yards
and other places having a large grass area.  Walking across such areas
can be like trying to step through a mine field.

It's known that the treaty should be modified to recognize the problems
caused by the non-migratory flocks but nothing seems to be being done.
I think the problem is how to definitively define a given flock as
non-migratory.  I don't think it should matter.  They are anything but
an endangered species.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt