Re: [OM] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [OM] (no subject)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 07:28:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> >     For the most part, LinkedIn is considered to be a scam.
> > I have it blocked, and many of the lists that I subscribe
> > to have done the same.  Seems that when you join it will
> > download your address book and then contact anyone there
> > that it hasn't already contacted.
> >

> Hmm, that would consitute an offence of some sort, wouldn't
> it?  I don't believe that my address book has been downloaded
> to any external agency.
>
> I don't think that LI is a scam, merely another networking
> system looking to make money out of its subscribers.  So far
> it has been less invasive than FB.

     The experience of many over here has been that shortly after joining,
invitations to join are sent to entries in their address books with no action
on their part.  I generally see two or more per month that are sent to groups,
inviting the group itself to join.  Moderators have been quick to respond by
putting the "sender" on full moderation or by giving them the boot entirely,
with terse warnings to the group at large lest they suffer a similar fate.

     FB has it's own interesting problems, such as contacts from manufacturers
who use FB as advertising or from "escorts", mail-order brides, etc.  Ther's
always a market for catering to people's weaknesses.

Chris