Re: [OM] (OM) Copying from shiny paper

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Copying from shiny paper
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 08:46:36 -0500
You did well and achieved good focus.  I recently tried photographing an
old 8x10 B&W wedding print with the Vivitar S1 90/2.5 and Zuiko 50/3.5
lenses on the 5D.  I had previously scanned 1/2 dozen such prints but
one had been giving me fits due to a low contrast brighter area over
part of the groom's jacket.  That was caused by some buckling in the
paper that reflected the light differently and nothing I could do in the
scanner (including about 15 pounds of books) would flatten it out.

I thought I might be able to do better with the camera.  I was sorely
disappointed.  I still ended up with the same low contrast area and a
softer looking image to boot.  Probably my own inability to focus
accurately with the MF lenses combined with probably a bit lower
resolution from the camera vs. the scanner.  It's back to PhotoShop to
fix the problem. :-)

Chuck Norcutt