Re: [OM] (OM) Portrait just for fun

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Portrait just for fun
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 04:15:50 +1300
Chuck wrote

> The screen image you've pointed me to is only 598x762 pixels.  I
> wouldn't consider making a 5x7 print unless there were at least 1750
> pixels along the long edge and preferably 2100.  In the drastic downsizing
> from the original to a screen image you have lost very considerable detail
> in the image.  JPEG file size is only tangentially related here.  I
> believe you have lost significant detail in the child's eyes, lashes and
> brows.  If you were to go back to your original E3 image file and make a
> properly sized print file (1500x2100) I think you'd be quite surprised to
> see what your present print is missing.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 12/13/2011 8:31 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> > Chuck asked
> >>
> >> You made a 5x7 print from the screen scraped image?
> >>
> >> Chuck Norcutt
> >
> > Yes, why not?

At http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/October-2011/Oct-2011.htm

You can see a version of the original image.

Broadband is no longer a possibility for me - at the moment anyway.
We have my fiancee's 42 yo son with us. He is a mentally impaired widower
and his nearly 9 yo daughter also lives with us. There are significant issues
with a family court decision granting (very rare) access rights to the girl's
aunts. She has to be taken to visit one of these aunts on Friday. He went
ballistic 12 hours ago, started trashing the house and threatened more. As
well as heaps of verbal abuse and threats of violence against me.
I discovered a noose set up on a rafter in the garage ... first time I've seen
one of those ready for use.. He's now on sedatives - but the broadband
enters the house through his room and he has the modem on his desk. My
connection is unplugged from it  ....

Yes, I do believe there is a discernable loss of image quality in the 90%
screen version of the screen scrape, as noted by Moose I think. But that
does not apply to the file sent to the printer. The grand-parents were
delighted.

Brian Swale.