Re: [OM] (OM) Noise with E-3

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Noise with E-3
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 21:10:24 -0800
On 12/12/2011 11:34 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Today I had the Hebe photo printed at a reasonably competent printing
> place.
>
> That shot, at ISO 250, has unacceptable noise in all places, black, and
> coloured, and this shows up at 8 x 10 (A4). I will try running Neat Image and
> see what transpires.

As Chuck pointed out, that could be a result of sloppy image processing. there
is certainly noise in the shadows of the
web image. Unfortunately, that tells little about the noise state of the
original, RAW file. Sometimes downsampling will
emphasize noise so that the smaller file actually looks noisier, sometimes the
reverse. It all depends on too many
factors, application and settings used, downsizing ratio, whether shadows have
been lifted, either in processing or in
camera, whether processing that makes noise more obvious, like LCE, sharpening,
etc. has been done etc.

I always apply noise reduction at full size and before other processing.
Sometimes, a second application after
processing and downsampling is useful, but only with very noisy files, unlike
here.

Moose