[OM] Been a while since I posted some OM work

Subject: [OM] Been a while since I posted some OM work
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:47:32 +0200
Hi Gang,

Hope everybody is well here at the beginning of the festive season?
I'm not going away on holiday, but have been getting some darkroom
time at least :-) Here are a couple from a random roll. I'v not been
giving my 21mm f/2.0 some love lately, but honestly - it's as good a
21mm as one could ever want. It only really sucks when you shoot it at
f/2.0 or f/2.8 in good light on a flat subject - that's clearly not
what it was made for. In really poor light, however, the f/2.0 is
really handy. Otherwise, I try to stick to f/4.0+ - where it's simply
great. Some recent(ish) work:

> Visible from above
> http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/346/e/c/visible_from_above_by_philosomatographer-d4ixbu6.jpg
> (21mm at f/2.0, very poor light, Kodak TMY-2 400, OM-3Ti)

See how much it sucks at f/2.0 in a real-world flat-ish object?

> Heartlight

> http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/346/a/a/heartlight_by_philosomatographer-d4ixbpj.jpg

> (21mm at f/2.0, very poor light, Kodak TMY-2 400, OM-3Ti)

Here, however, it doesn't matter - THIS is what the f/2.0 on this lens
was made for. When you're
in absolute darkness with a camera with fixed film speed. Similar to
this:

> Four Walling

> http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/346/f/4/four_walling_by_philosomatographer-d4ixbdt.jpg

> (21mm at f/2.0, very poor light, Kodak TMY-2 400, OM-3Ti)

When the light is better and you can shoot at f/4:

> Screen Printing Workshop

> http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/346/0/7/screen_printing_workshop_by_philosomatographer-d4ixb50.jpg

> (21mm at f/4.0, Kodak TMY-2 400, OM-3Ti)

21mm perfection. On the left edge, every digit and tickmark on the
clock was crisply rendered on the print.

> Old Book Press
> http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/346/f/a/old_book_press_by_philosomatographer-d4ixbhj.jpg
> (21mm at f/5.6, Kodak TMY-2 400, OM-3Ti)

> Main Street Life

> http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/346/8/6/main_street_life_by_philosomatographer-d4ixayp.jpg

> (21mm at f/5.6, Kodak TMY-2 400, OM-3Ti)

Thanks for looking! (I know these are not my best, but I'm trying to
keep the OM/film flame alive around here.)

No, the Nikon F hasn't convinced me to get rid of my OM goodies... I
would like to try a good Nikon 20/21mm to see how it compares to the
OM 21/2. It won't be small like a rangefinder though... (the OM-3Ti +
21mm is just ridiculously small and soooo good to hold and use, for
what it is)

Dawid

P.S. Trying out one of the older focusing screens in the 3Ti currently
- the plain matter with grid. It's the perfect smoothness (the 1-8 is
to fine, doesn't show you the real DOF, and the 1-4 is too course. I
don't have a 1-4N). Like looking though a hazy window compared to the
2-series, but I am enjoying seeing the *real* DOF, and yes - even the
bokeh of the lens. Trying to get as close to the Nikon F finder as
possible...