Re: [OM] Comparing 50 mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Comparing 50 mm lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 20:21:57 -0800
On 11/19/2011 11:02 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> You sure?  I see about 1/2 stop exposure difference in favor of the
> Zeiss (which may or may not be an error)

Not meaningful at all. There are differences, but I tried to minimize them in
processing, so they wouldn't overwhelm
other, subtler differences. In ACR, I increased or decreased the exposure
slider to put the top of the histogram in the
same place for all and the Blacks slider to 0.

Given the same camera, subject and light, I think that means all exposures are
very close to the same. I saw no point in
testing aperture accuracy, as I don't care - and one lens is 'ancient' and
another elderly. So any overall exposure
difference you see is a failure of my eye, and has nothing to do with the
lenses themselves.

I believe that brightness affects our visual preferences a great deal. Post two
images to illustrate something else, and
most people will prefer the brighter one (assuming neither is grossly
mis-exposed).

> and a small difference in color but that's about it.

I do see the color rendering differences as potentially significant, depending
on application.

> I don't see any bragging rights anywhere.

Other than the colors, neither do I. The possible differences in OOF
rendering/bokeh that I was interested in aren't
significant at least at these subject and background distances.

Moose