Re: [OM] IMG: Thursday Butterfly

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Thursday Butterfly
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:24:12 -0500
Just remember, including the larger environment does not excuse compositional
arrangement. The larger inclusion means more elements in the photo and it is
still the photogs responsibility to try to create a well designed composition.
Hence, an isolated butterfly is simpler to compose, but including more elements
in the image, especially under the need for speed situations that this type of
shot has to deal with, often means shooting with an instinctual reaction.
You have to train and rely on total vision versus tunnel vision.

I'm really not clear on what part of the brain creates that vision, or how it
is developed. The only advice that ever worked for me was something from
Rod Planck - don't become enamored by the subject and look to see what
is least in the photo.

I have found when I know I have a good subject, my peripheral vision
often kicks in to help me minimize what I don't like and frame better. It is
a quick switch. We are trained to see what we like. Training to see what is
a distraction or least is easier than it sounds. Probably the best photo
advice I ever received.

WayneS