Re: [OM] IMG: Film Shots from the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Film Shots from the Airport
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 06:16:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > I've always wondered why aircraft like that have such
> > long noses.  I'm sure that there is not that much kit
> > to instal in there, and it must affect the pilot's view
> > on the approach.  I'm surprised that the designer
> > doesn't work out the balance to allow the use of a
> > shorter nose.
> >

> I have never run the numbers on weight and balance
> calculations, but, in many cases, I think it comes about
> in converting piston engine designs to turboprops.  The
> turbos are so much lighter than the piston engines that
> they have to be moved forward as far as possible.  The
> extended nose gives baggage space to help complete the
> balance with a full load of passengers.  At least, that
> is my simple view of the issue.

     On the DC-3's that have been refitted with turbine engines, the nacelle is
modified to the point where the prop disk is now ahead of the nose to get the
balance right.

     Speaking of which, I was working in the garden yesterday and heard the
distinct sound of a pair of radial engines.  I looked south and there was a
DC-3 lumbering eastward at a low altitude.  Last time I heard that sound I
spied a B-25 making it's way westward to a local airshow.

     I doubt that I will ever lose the urge to stop everything and look around
when I hear that sound of that of a C-130.

Chris