Re: [OM] Cambridge and London

Subject: Re: [OM] Cambridge and London
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:54:22 -0800
On 11/15/2011 11:43 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I'm quite pleased with these shots,

As you should be! I've long thought you have a good eye, occasionally not
entirely well served by equipment and/or
technical choices in making the exposures.

I'm behind in viewing and commenting on the many images posted lately. I found
many images to like in the Madeira and
panorama links you recently posted. You seem to be getting better at exposures
and/or the K5 is serving you better in
that regard than the E-thingies.

> taken with the little G12 (I know, it's not that little :-))

I have wondered if all the noise about mirrorless ILCs has pulled attention
away from these excellent small cameras
(compared to DSLRs and to ILCs with lens attached). Although I suppose Canon's
decision to delay any entry into the ILC
market may indicate that sales of their higher end compacts are good.

In Peter's search for a DSLR replacement for travel, I thought he might have
been well served by a G12. My G11 is the
same in still image specs and IQ as the G12, and I'm still pretty impressed
with it. I certainly don't feel any need for
anything between it and the D60.

> Bike and Spikes, Cambridge:
>
> http://smu.gs/rYHAae

Quite a nice composition! I tend to disagree with Wayne about the bicycle.

I would have taken it at -2/3 EV, my default setting for the G11 for anything
but low contrast subjects. As it is, you
have highlight clipping, esp. in the red channel, in the bright leaves.

I don't know if more could be recovered in ACR from a RAW file, but simply
exposing a bit less would have done the
trick. At -2/3 EV, you could have gone to ISO 200 without to slow a shutter
speed, making it even more certain that any
shadows to be brought up wouldn't be too noisy.

Even so, it's possible to greatly improve the leaves.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Barker/Bike_and_Spikes.htm>

> And 4 shots from London, starting with a mobile café next to St Pancras
> railway station (international terminus for Eurostar).
>
> http://smu.gs/vsCYU7

Like the last one, this has blown highlights, although not in such important
subject areas. I know I have a rep with
some for increasing contrast. Here, I have indeed increased local contrast in
some areas, but lowered overall contrast
where it obscured highlight (awning, woman's face, etc.) and shadow  (vendor's
clothes, cart detail, etc.) detail.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Barker/Mobile_cafe.htm>

> The last image is of Tavistock Square, which contains various memorials.

That one has the usual problems of loss of contrast and saturation in bright
overcast.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Barker/Tavistock_Square.htm>

Moose