Re: [OM] Replacement battery for E-30

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacement battery for E-30
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:33:01 -0500
Just to be clear my advice has not necessarily been to buy the camera
manufacturer's battery but rather to buy a "name brand" battery.  Buy
from someone who has a name and a reputation to uphold and is willing to
identify themselves as the source of the lithion-ion fire that consumed
your camera and possibly your house.  :-)

My original Canon BP-511 battery for my 5D died in the middle of London
this past summer and I was obliged to purchase an aftermarket battery of
unknown Chinese origin at an exorbitant price.  The undesired
replacement has performed well but has had little usage so far.  The
original Canon battery lasted a bit over 5 years.  An Energizer BP-511
clone bought at the same time is still going strong although I can't
swear that it has equal run time.  I once purchased Maxell batteries for
my Minolta A1 and they are also still performing well but have not has
much usage since the Canon arrived.  The last time I looked I could not
find either Maxell or Energizer lithium-ion batteries.  I suspect some
manufacturers have weighed the potential liabilities of such a
potentially dangerous product and have bowed out of the market.  Sony,
Apple and now, perhaps, Chevy know all about it.  Checked your Chevy
Volt for fire hazards lately?  :-)

Chuck Norcutt