Re: [OM] Eudora and mail

Subject: Re: [OM] Eudora and mail
From: Michael Hobart <mhobart@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:59:58 -0700
Wayne

It has been a while since I have used Eudora, but look for a setting in Eudora
for how it treats the end of the line.  One of the bizarre results of multiple
competing computer operating systems is that there is no STANDARD definition of
the end of a line in text or email.   It may be any combination of <CR> =
carriage return, and <LF> = line feed, characters.

Competition is often good, but not necessarily when it leads to
non-standardization of essential features :-)

On Friday, November11, 2011, at 4:16 AM, olympus-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Japanese red and yellow - haiku
> Date: November 10, 2011 6:13:39 PM MST
> To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> For some reason, my Eudora totally scrambles some peoples emails. Anyone have
> a solution for that? This is impossible for me to read. Most emails are just
> fine.
>
> Marc, what email client are you using?
>
> WayneS
>
> At 11/9/2011 05:44 PM, Marc Lawrence wrote:
>> Some might also like to look into haiku's more human-subject form, the
>> senryū: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senry%C5%AB For a different type of
>> photography it also, I think, is captured by Andrew's second-to-last
>> sentence. Cheers, Marc (who tries photographing haiku & senryū but usually
>> ends up with a bad, free-form sonnet) http://gallery.parknmeter.com On 10
>> November 2011 08:32, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I know,
>> I know - some of the stuff on the site is awful. > There was a really good
>> HaikuPhoto site but I couldn't find it quickly. > But it does make the
>> telling point that Haiku isn't quite what we round eyes think it is. > That
>> the Japanese ideograms and western syllables aren't quite equivalent. > So
>> the line breaks we use are a western style and 10-14 syllables is more
>> appropriate than 17. > > I think Haiku has a lot in common with photography,
>> in that it attempts to capture one small moment in time and convey a feeling
>> about it. > I must start getting into it more. > Andrew Fildes >
>> contains serious grammatical error. >> >> Possessive error >> drives an
>> arrow >> right up my blinkin' arse. >> >> We don't need no stinking rules!
>> - >>> http://www.pixiport.com/haiku-photography.html >>> Hmmm...10-14
>> syllables written in one vertical line. >>> That's going to strain the urge.

Michael Hobart
mhobart@xxxxxxx

The Generations Tips pages and some of my personal genealogy is available at
http://users.sisna.com/mhobart