Re: [OM] Aircraft Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft Photos
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:37:08 -0700

> I have examined all of these fine photos, and there most assuredly is no
> C-97. I believe what you mean is C-46, but am not entirely sure, but I am
> sure that there are no stock C-97's currently flying, although the Super
> Guppy conversions may still be in use.

    You're correct, I had the numbers confused.  There are plenty of C-46's
operating in the Carribean, and there's one on static display down at the
Pima Air Museum in Tucson right next to a C-47.  There you get to see that
the C-46 is larger than the C-47.  The C-46 was a bit underpowered.

    The Super Guppies have been sitting around doing nothing down in El Paso
for decades.  I doubt that they will ever fly again.

    The last C-97's I was aware of that were still flying were operated by
Hawkins & Powers out of Greybull, WY.  They were used to haul contract
freight, and that was about 20 years ago.  The engines are probably all worn
out by now as you can only chrome the cylinders so many times.

Chris