Re: [OM] Lens design, bokeh, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens design, bokeh, etc.
From: "List, OM" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 18:24:25 -0700
Karsh is reported to have often used Kodak Commercial Ektar lenses  (a 14"
/ 360mm being one of his favorites) ... they have a very good reputation.
http://www.sciencetech.technomuses.ca/english/collection/karsh5.cfm

Wide open would have been f6.3. Some Kodak lens test results (shorter not
commercial Ektar) can be found at:
http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

f45 seems too stopped down. f22 or more open would seem to me to be more
likely. Many of the portrait lenses have relatively open apertures (f4.5
for heliar's or Kodak Portrait) and are used relatively wide open, more so
than landscapes. A heliar is considered to loose its special
characteristics by the time it is stopped down to f16.

Jeff Keller

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx