Re: [OM] Work for nothing ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Work for nothing ?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:18:26 -0500
> That's about where it needs to be here. In Indiana, $15.51 an hour would
> enable a worker to support a family in a decent, though not by any means
> luxurious lifestyle.

Based on a standard 40ish hours per week work. I've always worked
multiple jobs or had a side business kicking in additional income.
Total household income is more a function of hours worked instead of
hourly pay. That's why two-income households are so common. (in my
case, it's somewhere closer to three). I'm trying to remember the last
time I worked less than 60 hours in a week.

But, it all comes down to choices. Each of us must choose our
lifestyles and set our own priorities. But there is a trap to all
this: People with low incomes tend to live pretty simply. People with
high incomes just spend a whole lot more and still end up with
financial challenges. The more you make, the nicer the house, food,
clothes, car, camera... Debt, as a ratio to income seems to be pretty
consistant across all income groups.

AG