Re: [OM] IMG: Another Relic From the Past

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Relic From the Past
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 23:30:59 +0100 (BST)
Jim,       The blacksmith's leg vice is made from forgings,and is usually made
in wrought iron. This gives it the toughness needed to absorb the shocks
involved in hammering metal. Ordinary fitters bench vices are usually
manufactured in cast iron. Whilst these are fit for their intended purpose, if
they are subjected to a shock load, or overtightened by using an extension tube
on the tommy bar, they can fracture across the neck of the moveable jaw.

Regards

  John Duggan,

     Wales, UK