Re: [OM] Now OT ( IMG: Fully Restored 1948 Stinson 108-3)

Subject: Re: [OM] Now OT ( IMG: Fully Restored 1948 Stinson 108-3)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:02:49 -0400
There was a similar story from Death Valley a year or two ago.  The
roads are on the GPS but many of them are not passable.  And there's no
cell phone service except on the main road so you can't call for help if
you get in a jam.

I learned my lesson about not blindly following the GPS shortly after my
son gave it to me as a gift some 3 or 4 years ago.  I was driving in
Florida at night in an unfamiliar area when the GPS unexpectedly told me
to take a turn.  I ended up running a wild goose chase for about 10
miles before suddenly coming to a stop at a secondary highway whose
number I recognized.  While I was pretty far out in the boonies I was
never in any danger because I knew I'd eventually find some
civilization.  Not so if you're hung up on a rock with a busted oil pan
in some dirt wash in the middle of Death Valley.

Chuck Norcutt