Re: [OM] 100 shootout

Subject: Re: [OM] 100 shootout
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:06:40 +0200
Interesting write-up, Ken, although I will reserve detailed comment
until we see the pictures!

Let's just say that, lens "character" aside, I am skeptical of even
the theoretical possibility for two 100mm lenses at f/2.8 to display
different depths of field, or "asymmetrical" depth of field. In both
cases, the light from the subject travels to two holes of the same
diameter, in perfect straight lines. The "cones" (if you can visualise
it, from a point on the subject, to the aperture opening in the lens)
are thus identical in dimension front of, and behind, the subject.

So, "character" / "smoothness" aside, the "degree" of de-focus must be
the same, no?

But most important of all, I am really glad you could get your hands
on a fabulous lens like the 100/2, and that you truly enjoy it for
years to come.

Dawid Loubser