Re: [OM] Overextending your reach

Subject: Re: [OM] Overextending your reach
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:36:26 -0700

> > The reason I asked is that shortly after I realized that the Sigma
> > 3-element was a poor performer, I read that the 7-element extenders
> > (teleconverters) were much better. That prompted me to get the Soligor.
>
> Close visual inspection of three in hand and web images of others
> convince me that all the third party 7 element converters came out of
> the same factory and are the same but for labeling.
>
> > Your photo here lacks the terrible grainyness that I experienced
>
> I am mystified. How can a lens create graininess?

    Perhaps "softness" is a better term.  Sharp transitions, such as the
margins of flower petals and leaves were uneven.  In a scene with lots of
differentiation in colour and texture it gives a "grainy" appearance.

> I've used several different telextenders, 3 element Vivitar, 7 element
> third party, Vivitar telemacro,  Kiron 1.5, Tamron 1.4 & 2x and Oly 2x.
>
> Good ones are pretty good, bad ones soft and may vignette. But I've never
> seen anything like graininess. And yes, almost all of this was using film.

    I'd like to find a 1.4 or 1.5 some day.  Last Olympus 1.4 I saw on eBay
went for over $200.  Seller was in South Africa.

Chris