[OM] Odd Lenses

Subject: [OM] Odd Lenses
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:25:58 -0700
    An antique dealer asked me to look at a camera and lens that he had
found in a small thrift store.  The camera itself turned out to be a
Praktika with a Carl Zeiss 50mm lens, in the original leather case with no
wear.  The separate lens was a Unitor 85-205mm f/3.8 with an M42 mount.  The
whole shebang was being sold for a mere $20.  We split the lot, him getting
the camera (a collectible) and me getting the lens.  I have a distinct
impression that this lens was made by Tokina

    Never heard of Unitor before, but this lens is solidly built.  Much like
the early Vivitar T4 lenses, there's no plastic, even the grips are machined
aluminum.  Focusingfrom infinity to less than 2m takes 180º of control
rotation.  And there's an extra control that lets you have full manual
control of the aperture.  No macro, such as on the Soligor 85-205mm that I
just acquired.

    Optics are nice and clear, no fungus or haze.  Focusing and zoom are
very nice with lots of rotation needed for both, which is a big plus.
Unlike some lenses that are oriented for macro work, the focusing on this
one is not compressed near the infinity end, which makes it highly suitable
for wildlife photography, particularly birds and large insects in the
garden.

    Is Unitor a European third-party brand?

Chris