Re: [OM] IMG: The Top

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Top
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 16:27:28 -0700
On 9/11/2011 12:48 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Still working on exposure and post-processing.  The white RoS blooms make a
> challenging subject.  This one seems to be closer to what I would like to
> achieve.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/The+Top.jpg.html
>
> Comments and critiques welcomed.  I have learned a lot from your comments.

That's nice, and much improved over some earlier ones shot at 0 EV.

Still, take a look at this version of the image which shows clipped highlights,
solid red, and shadows, blue.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/The_Top.htm>

Some of the red is obvious, but make sure to notice it on the edges of the
petals on the right side and the tip of the
bud (hard to notice on reddish bud).

But do you see any blue other than on the black frame? I don't. So, you could
have gone to -2/3 EV, reduced highlight
clipping, and lost little or nothing in the shadows.

I know, it's anxious making to deviate from the wisdom of the meter. And Ken is
right; if you go to minus EV, you will
usually have to lift the midtones in post. Still, you've been around long
enough to know that some things are worth a
modest effort.

Light & Shadow Moose