Re: [OM] Another visual conundrum 4

Subject: Re: [OM] Another visual conundrum 4
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:33:58 -0500
> Got it in one. You might even have won a pass from being called on
hyperbole - but I already posted it. :-)

Nah, I know better. You'll call it as you see it. I will admit, though, that
the upgrades to technology/workflow for digtial B&W have slowed down--just
as they did after the darkroom boom of the 50's-70's. But that doesn't mean
that advancements have stopped--it's just that they have slowed down. Also,
thanks to the Internet, there has been some "group think" which has
definitely pushed the medium forward. Two particular advancements come to
mind: Split-Grade Printing and F-Stop Printing.

There are other advancements in alternative processes which may be new or
new ways of doing an old archiac process (carbon?). Technology in the
darkroom is definitely moving forward, but overall, it is a relatively
mature technology (only mature because so few new developments and
advancements are being engineered for it, not that it has really reached
ultimate maturity). With Digital B&W, we are seeing a slowing down
(maturing) of the advancements because just as with the darkroom, we've
reached a point where the masses are satisfied and have already begun to
move onto other things. From here on out, the advancements will be
incremental, but the primary gains are not going to be in post-processing
and printing, but on the capture side. We really need at least two, probably
more bits in the dynamic range of the capture medium.

>> The ripples and texture tell me that you used about a 50mm focal length
from about 10 inches.
> Nope, shoulda quit while you were ahead.

Ah, but the "effective focal length and distance" was...

> ROTFLMAO! After picking myself up, I have to say that's a great story.
Quite inaccurate, but très amusant.

Hmm. You didn't bark about the plaid flannel shirt!

Do you realize how hard it is to write "bowl of bowel-assist" and "regular
bowl of regularity"? I think I sprained my pinky. I'm really happy to know
that your system is happy and functioning in a normal and productive manner.

AG