[OM] A simple aid for HDR and panoramas

Subject: [OM] A simple aid for HDR and panoramas
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:43:29 -0400
In my previous post on HDR I mentioned spot metering the highlights and
the shadows to find the range of exposures involved.  That, of course,
implies there are multiple exposures to be combined into a single, final
image.  There too is a connection with panoramas or focus stacking...
multiple related images involved that need to be recognized and grouped.

One of Tim Grays suggestions the other day (actually, spurred on by a
reader) was to take a blank frame or, as he does it, a shot of his hand
at the beginning and end of a panorama sequence.  I wish I'd thought of
this simple little trick a few months ago before I went to England and
Scotland.  I took lots of panos in Scotland and there are also a fair
number of very similar looking images surrounding the panos.  It
sometimes takes a bit of careful scanning and comparison to figure
exactly where the pano starts and ends.

Anyhow, it would all be a lot easier with a blank frame or some other
distinctive markers bracketing the sequence of relevant frames.

Chuck Norcutt