Re: [OM] OM4 shutter speed ring stiff to turn

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 shutter speed ring stiff to turn
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:21:10 -0400 (EDT)
I know that John H. posted about how to do it and to me, it wasn't all that
 difficult for someone who is mechanically inclined and attentive to
details. It  involves a spring and a couple of ball bearings that ride along a
circular track  with detents. Dirt or some kind of grit gets in there and makes
it difficult to  turn.  What you have to do is keep the very tiny bits from
flying off  across the room and/or falling to the floor and pay close
attention to the  shutter ring orientation as it comes apart, for everything
has
to be exactly the  same when you put it back, or your SS ring will be off
kilter and you won't have  access to the range of speeds you are supposed to
have.

As to the OM-PC, I've come across several bad ones that are sold on
auction sites as fully functional. Others have had the same bad luck trying to
find a reliable one. I think that due to age and it's somewhat different
electronics, and the fact that it was originally from the 'consumer' line of
two-digit OMs, it may be too much aggravation to even bother looking at this
point in time.

Best,
George

I have  an OM4 of which the shutter speed ring is excessively stiff to turn.

Is  there a simple safe way for me to lubricate it myself, and what might
that
be?  TIA.