Re: [OM] IMG Another spider portrait

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG Another spider portrait
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:49:59 -0400
I guess I should be more careful.  I did not think there are Black
Widows in the north east.  But, based on your comment I decided to check
Wiki <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus> which tells me there are
3 species of "Black Widow" in the US as well as two other related
species, the "Red Widow" and the "Brown Widow".  Between them they cover
all parts of the US with some species in more than one area.  After
doing a Google images search on a couple of species I realized that I
would not have recognized some of them as Widow spiders, particularly
since they may also exhibit color and pattern variations even within the
same species.

Chuck Norcutt