Re: [OM] An Interesting Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] An Interesting Lens
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:31:53 -0700

> > Early last week I was browsing through eBay for wide-to-telephoto
> > lenses when I came across a curious item which arrived in the mail
> > this morning. It's a Hoya (yes, Hoya) 35-105mm f/3.5 macro that
> > features constant aperture. The feature that attracted me was the
> > separate zoom and focus controls, which I have found to be highly
> > desirable.
>

> Yes,
> Interesting lens. Did you come across any links to info on it? I recall
> CH saying the Z. 75-150 is one of the easiest to focus
> despite the F4 aperture. Chuck likes his Kiron better--never have seen
> any comparison data. Two touch zooms can be nicer to use.
> I stopped using my Z. 75-150 very often after I got a Z. 85 f2 from
> Jaap Korten though it is a nice portrait lens.

    I did read a few web entries about it, and they were all blogs where
people said that they liked it.  The eBay listing photos were sufficient for
me to evaluate the focusing and zoom controls, but it wasn't until I got it
this morning that I was able to figure out how the macro worked.  It wasn't
entirely a shot in the dark, and I'm certainly glad that I took the risk in
buying it without seeing any professional reviews.  The real test will be
seeing how well it performs out in the field, and I have no doubt that this
one will prove to be more than adequate for my needs.

    The weight is of little consequence as the Vivitar 75-260mm TX that I
carry weighs in at 2lb 12oz and the Vivitar 400mm TX that I may take along
comes in at 3lb 4oz.

Chris