[OM] (OM) OT Programs stealing bandwidth

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Programs stealing bandwidth
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:59:03 +1200
I have noticed that today when I was trying to download a large mail item on
a particularly slow connection, that at a particular point in time, more than
double the required bytes had been downloaded than were required for the
mail item. So I disconnected.

Bill P's "WinPatrol" showed me that there was a Googleupdater.exe file
involved. And, unusually, WinPatrol wasn't able to turn it off.

Not strange though it may seem, I had recently installed Google Chrome
browser.

A pretty useless browser if you want to do many of the file things I like a
browser to do, but being very new it handles the modern codes well, which
is handy if you are using facebook..

Anyway, I did a search in the usual suspect places, and found 3 !!!
examples of Googleupdater.exe, and another related .exe file.

I renamed the first kind Googleupdater.sexe, and its friend likewise I dealt to
the file extension.

I'm glad to say that I now have my bandwidth to myself for the moment, as a
result.  More ways than one to skin a cat. And I hope Chrome is in agony.

I detest programs which download stuff without asking first, and treat then
accordingly if I find them.

Brian Swale.