Re: [OM] IMG: Paddling Home to Roost

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Paddling Home to Roost
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 07:26:02 -0400
Seeing your ducks reminded me of a rather amazing sight yesterday.  We
were visiting friends at their lake-side cabin in Pennsylvania.  We had
only just walked in the door when someone shouted that there was an
eagle floundering in the lake that appeared to be drowning.  We looked
immediately through the expansive glass sliding doors and, sure enough,
about 40 meters away, there was a sopping wet and very bedraggled
looking bald eagle setting in the water.  He was flapping his wings as
hard and fast as he could while trying to take to the air but making no
headway.  His wings were drenched and we were truly concerned that the
eagle might drown.

Suddenly, from directly across the lake, there came a duck flying a few
meters above the water.  We were astonished because the duck was coming
very fast and clearly making a bee-line right at the eagle.  Then the
eagle saw the duck coming and, apparently with some duck-induced
adrenalin, made a few extra strength wing flaps and suddenly rose up out
of the water... with a gigantic fish in its talons.  The eagle seemed to
stumble a bit with its huge and heavy load but eventually began to pick
up some speed and altitude.  At that point the duck broke off its attack.

Do eagles know something about ducks that we don't?  Maybe you should
use great caution the next time you are photographing ducks.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt