Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?

Subject: Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 23:45:29 -0700
Putting an adapter clamp on your 410 which will accept your RC200/3157N
plates is probably a good way to go if you are happy with the stability
you've been getting. If you leave the Manfrotto system, A-S quick releases
are the way to go.

The A-S quick release system is like a giant erector set with compatible
pieces made by many different companies each trying to come up with
must-have advantages. Moose's link provides a good overview of many of the
key pieces but there is a tremendous variety of things available.

Mike's mention of Hejnarphoto is worth noting. They've been offering A-S
quick release pieces at significantly lower prices. The few I've bought from
them aren't finished as nicely as RRS, Kirk, Acratech, nor Arca Swiss but
work nicely.

I second Mike's comment that the L-brackets for the Canon 5D are very nice.
(I think mine is RRS but Kirk is very similar) They eliminate the need to
flop the tripod head over to take a portrait orientation (weight stays
centered on tripod).

I think one of the big advantages of A-S quick releases is all metal to
metal contact. There are no rubber/cork pads. I found them much more stable
with long telephoto lenses. There are A-S compatible pieces which have pads
and lack anti-rotation but there is seldom any reason to buy them.

The "cube" was the only geared head shipped with an A-S clamp but there are
a couple clones of the Arca Swiss original. The "cube" weighs about half
what the 410 weighs but in part because the center of gravity stays close to
optimum, can hold probably any camera you would carry.

The Arca Swiss
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/629979-REG/Arca_Swiss_8501000_1_C1_Cub
e_Geared_Head.html

Arca Swiss came out / is coming out with a possibly less expensive geared
head:
http://digitaljournalofphotography.blogspot.com/2010/09/arca-swiss-unveils-d
4-and-d4m-pan-and.html

Linhof who has replaced the A-S clamp with what appears to be a proprietary
design.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/762761-REG/Linhof_003660_3D_Micro_Leve
ling_Pan.html
A US distributer responded to a claim that the Linhof was a clone with: Not
even close, it is made from the tilt head that is part of the M679cs. It is
much smaller in size then the Arca, more precisely geared and has a
different range of movements.

A Korean company, Photo Clam, was the first to come out with a clone
http://photoclam.en.ec21.com/MultiFlex--4530072_4521844.html

Arca Swiss or the USA distributor seems to have succeeded in preventing the
Photo Clam Multiflex from being marketed in the USA probably claiming patent
infringements. After the Multiflex came out the price of the A-S C1 dropped
by nearly $1000. I don't think that was due to the strength of the dollar.

Jeff Keller